What nutrients make up the brain?
Fat, protein/amino acids, micronutrients, glucose.
1) Fat – Omega 3 & 6 are the stars! They are crucial for the production and maintenance of brain cell membranes. We cannot make these nutrients, you need to eat them! (e.g. fatty fish, nuts, and seeds)
2) Protein – produce your serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine that control mood, focus, energy, and sleep!
3) Micronutrients – protect the brain so it works better for longer. (Especially B6, B12, Folic acid). Eat an array of colourful fruit and veg!
4) Carbs – fuel for the brain!
– High glycemic foods – spike blood sugar in the brain quickly followed by a crash in attention and mood. (e.g. sugar, baked goods, bread)
– Low glycemic foods – the fibre content slows the release of glucose and creates a sustained and steadier level of attentiveness and mood. (e.g. grains, legumes, oats).